Sunday 9 September 2012

Opportunities for children to explore, develop and learn

Treasure troves - what are they?

Basically a treasure trove is a box filled with a nice variety of different textures and sights for a child to explore :

 
Here is my first prototype of a treasure trove box.... work in progress
 
 
The idea of treasure boxes have been used for a while now in childcare and early years settings. These boxes are fun and a great aid to support a child's development. They are sometimes used to support children with special needs, and can also be known as sensory trays.
 
They are widely used in Children's centres, and this is where I was first introduced to the idea. Its amazing to watch a child exploring a treasure box, and its stunning to see the interest they can find in some of the objects. The imagination of children always has and always will amaze me.
 
Despite being hugely impressed by the idea, it took me 2 children before I eventually got around to creating one at home for the first time. Its not that they are impossibly hard to put together, its more about those mummy good intentions against a sheer lack of time ( or energy).
 
My very slow progress in creating boxes for my kids inspired me to set up treasure troves. We create a treasure trove full of interesting items for a child to explore. The huge benefit of having a kick start into the world of treasure baskets, is that once you have one you can adapt it as they grow.
 
Aidan my oldest lad is now 9, and his now contains lots of little treasures that he finds himself, such as bits of metal, screws, washers.
 
 
The girls are 5 and 4 and their boxes are full of natural items, beads, coins, ribbon and pretty things. Although I am not sure you would describe the barbie heads and bits of dolls that they find and insist on adding to their boxes as pretty!
 
While my babies is still full of those lovely simple textures for him to experience such as wood, or a soft piece of material.
 
If you would like to ask about treasure trove baskets, or make any comments about the brilliant ideas behind them then please do add a comment.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment